Reported by Gulf News Health
- More than 70 percent of serious burn cases in the UAE involve children, laborers, and housemaids, burn center doctors have said, calling for strict fire safety measures.
- In the first half of 2012, Mafraq Hospital received 425 burn cases of which nearly half were of children below 12.
- In Rashid Hospital there is more than 80 percent of burn cases are of laborers and housemaids.
DIABETIC FOOT ULCER
Reported By Gulf News
- Marwan said in a statement: “Many complications can be associated with diabetes but one of the worst effects of diabetes can be witnessed on the feet. Twenty five percent of all diabetics end up with foot ulcers. One in five diabetic patients in the UAE who develop foot ulcers needs amputation.”
- Diabetes is the world’s leading cause of lower limb amputations, the statement added. The World Health Organisation (WHO) estimates that more than 1 million annual limb amputations occur globally. 85 percent of them are believed to be avoidable if given appropriate medical attention.
- In the UAE, an estimated 1.19 million people – around 12 percent of the total population – have diabetes, Renuka Jagtiani, chairwoman and CEO of Landmark Group.
Contact Physioveda Medical Center
Villa 181 B, Al Wasl Road near Al Ghazal Mall. Dubai, UAE.